birding-aus

Big flock of Painted Finches at Glen Helen Gorge

To: <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>, "'ntbirds'" <>
Subject: Big flock of Painted Finches at Glen Helen Gorge
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:39:09 +1000

Hi all

Just over two weeks ago, we were at Glen Helen and saw a small group of four Painted Finches close to the Gorge – we got some pretty good photos if anyone would like to see them.  2 days later we did the Ormiston Pound walk, which is only a few kms from Glen Helen, and we saw another small group of Painted Finches just into the Gorge from the Visitor Centre end.  At Redbank Gorge we saw a larger group of perhaps 30 right by the small amount of remaining water.

I will post a bigger trip report from our three weeks in Central Aust in the next day or two – as a teaser: two separate sightings of Grey Falcon (including excellent photo) and two sightings of Banded Whiteface! – but no Grey Honeyeater.

Bob Cook

Mildura  VIC