birding-aus

Today Sat 280505 on the Parramatta River.

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Today Sat 280505 on the Parramatta River.
From: "Phillip DUKE" <>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 19:14:19 +1000
I saw a White-breasted Sea Eagle briefly over Hunters Hill at 2.30pm while moored in the Lane Cove River. It set a  20 odd flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos into a minor panic. It then went out of sight south- west over the Hill.

At 4pm, I saw a pair of WBSE soaring over Balls Head and Waverton Bay. It caused the resident pair of Waverton Bay's Spur Winged Plovers to circle around calling the alarm which caused the gulls at the naval base to respond which called out a pair of ravens to fly up to challenge the eagles which caused them to break up. One fly west up the river and the over flew back over Balls Head towards the city.

The eagles are so graceful in their apparent effortless soaring. ls.

One of my sailing buddies reported that he saw a pair of Sooty Oystercatchers at La Perouse on Thursday. A first for him and a tick that still eludes me.

On Tuesday evening at about 5.15pm I saw a flock of 40-50 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos fly over the Eastgardens Shopping Centre at Pagewood.

Suburban birdwatching at its best.