birding-aus

A Good Day At Seaford Swamp

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: A Good Day At Seaford Swamp
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 18:16:57 +1000
Yesterday (May 19) Chris Tzaros and I conducted Birds Australia's monthly survey of Seaford Swamp for Melbourne Water.

It was a glorious sunny day that produced one of our highest totals over the ten years the surveys have been going with 72 species being seen.

The wetland is still in good condition- it is a pity it is not January as conditions were ideal for migratory waders. The only migrant still present was a solitary Black-tailed Godwit, an unusual bird for Seaford at any time of year. Also late was a party of at least ten Fairy Martins hawking above the water amongst the many swallows.

Other highlights were 25 Red-kneed Dotterel and 17 Black-fronted Dotterel. Of the 13 Blue-billed Ducks seen, ten were almost fully grown young from last summer's brood. We saw one each of Spotted Crake and Buff-banded Rail and heard two Spotless Crakes.

There was plenty of activity in the bushland buffer areas with good numbers of smaller birds such as Brown Thornbills, Spotted Pardalotes and Mistletoebirds. Other goodies included Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Golden Whistler and a dark phase Little Eagle.

A top day's birding at a top spot.

Sean Dooley