birding-aus

Re: Backdated back yard sightings - Alphington/Fairfield, Melbourne, Vic

Subject: Re: Backdated back yard sightings - Alphington/Fairfield, Melbourne, Victoria
From: <>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:07:55 +1000
Hi Lawrie et al,

A few of my recent (last month) local birds in
Alphington/Fairfield/Northcote etc:

* A family of Brown Thornbill has moved into my backyard in Westgarth
(Northcote), living in the shrubs along my back fence line. In effect
the shrubs and bushes along my fence line are acting like an English
hedgerow.

* Pied Currawong have moved into the immediate local area in the six
months. Previously the closest place to see them was at Yarra Bend.

* A flock of 50 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo was seen at Yarra Bend,
along the river directly opposite the golf club house, along with
Rainbow and Musk Lorikeet, Eastern Rosella, Galah, and Red-rumped
Parrot.

* A female Golden Whistler, a female Flame Robin, Grey Fantail and a
Brown Goshawk in the bush directly behind the Studley Park Boathouse.

* Darter over Penley Park in Thornbury - and a Hobby over houses in
Northcote.

* Resident Song Thrush, Blackbird, White-backed Magpie and Pied
Butcherbird in my backyard, street and local surrounds.

* And of course the million or more (well... approx. 200 plus in
reality ;-) Musk Lorikeet at the Ivanhoe Golf Club.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi birders

Geographical context:  I live in the inner eastern suburb of Alphington
in Melbourne, Victoria - in between the Yarra River, Darebin Creek and
the vast asphalt expanse known as Northcote - not far from Darebin
Parklands, Clifton Hill where Neville Pamment often reports, Ivanhoe
(including Wilson Reserve)  and Anthea Fleming, Kew etc. from Bill
Stent, and the general surrounds by Tim Dolby.  So far about 70 species
from the area about 1km radius around home (since mid January).

8/5/2005
A flock of 45-50 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos flying upstream along
the Yarra River, seen from Alphington Wetlands.  A few more than the 2-
5 I generally see around home.

29/4/2005
At least two Swift Parrots flying north from Alphington Railway Station
towards Pitcher Park, Fairfield.

... and I'm still enormously amused by the presence of Brown Thornbills
in the largely 'undergrowth free zone' of my yard and the
neighbours' ...

L.