birding-aus

Backdated back yard sightings - Alphington/Fairfield, Melbourne, Victori

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Backdated back yard sightings - Alphington/Fairfield, Melbourne, Victoria
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:01:32 +1000
Hi birders

Geographical context:  I live in the inner eastern suburb of Alphington in Melbourne, Victoria - in between the Yarra River, Darebin Creek and the vast asphalt expanse known as Northcote - not far from Darebin Parklands, Clifton Hill where Neville Pamment often reports, Ivanhoe (including Wilson Reserve)  and Anthea Fleming, Kew etc. from Bill Stent, and the general surrounds by Tim Dolby.  So far about 70 species from the area about 1km radius around home (since mid January).

8/5/2005
A flock of 45-50 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos flying upstream along the Yarra River, seen from Alphington Wetlands.  A few more than the 2-5 I generally see around home.

29/4/2005
At least two Swift Parrots flying north from Alphington Railway Station towards Pitcher Park, Fairfield.

... and I'm still enormously amused by the presence of Brown Thornbills in the largely 'undergrowth free zone' of my yard and the neighbours' ...

L.

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: m("ecologyaustralia.com.au","lconole");">
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142