birding-aus

Today on the Parramatta River.

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Today on the Parramatta River.
From: "Phillip DUKE" <>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 22:19:15 +1000
I saw one White Breasted Sea Eagle gain height as it flew east to west across Kissing Point Bay and then wheeled left and came down hard in a manner that reminded me of the Wedge Tailed Eagle as it drops. But it's tragectory was at least at 60 degrees into a flock of six or so gulls getting at some surface fish in front of the mangroves of the western shore of Yaralla Bay. The targeted gull seemed to have fought back by refusing to be intimated and actually charged at the Eagle and the others all intantantly turned on the Eagle . The Eagle had to fly into the mangroves to escape the gulls.

Since the death of the nesting pair that was in the area, this might be an inexperienced one moving into the area.

When these birds were being discussed recently, I forgot to post that I had seen one flying rather high north-west to south-east over Sydenham Railway Station. Which would make sense in that the only White Breasted Sea Eagles that could easily move into the Parramatta River would be one from Botany Bay and that flight path suggests that there is  regular  contact between the Parramatta River and Botany Bay WBSEs.

Also saw a pair of pee-wees fly right across the River and in that area the River is still rather broard.

2 pairs of chestnut teals, a few cormorants of all the usual suspects, and 3 or 4  pelicans, 1 Tern, a couple of crows going back and forward.