birding-aus

Banyule Flats is drying out

To: "" <>
Subject: Banyule Flats is drying out
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:02:31 +1000
We spent an hour ot two at Banyule Flats this morning from about 11 am
(just after the fog lifted) till 1 pm. Nearly all our time was spent
watering some of the new BOCA Centenary plantation, but we rewarded
ourselves before departure with a quick look at the Swamp.

It is drying out rapidly with large mudbanks visible.  South of the dead
trees were a large and rather flighty flock of Black Duck, and among
them nearer to the  west bank was a fine male Aust. Shoveller - its
reaction to our appearance was merely to paddle off a little way and
resume preening, which showed off its blue upperwing. The yellow eye was
conspicuous.

  North of the dead trees, two Swans preening while standing one-footed
on the mud, and many Chestnut Teal were idling in the shallows. The
solitary Mountain Duck, sorry, Shelduck, was resting among the dead
weeds. A few Coot, a few Dusky Moorhens, and several Purple Swamphens
were padding about among the Water-Ribbons. Earlier we had seen about 8
Cattle Egrets leaving the dead trees, but only one remained when we had
our look.

A pair of Masked lapwings were on the Dogs' Paddock with a solitary
Straw-necked Ibis. A few Rainbow Lorikeets flew overhead but the only
passerines observed were some Magpies, a Blackbird, and a Brown
Thornbill. Bell-miners could be heard near Plymouth Street.

We regretted not having more time to find more birds.
Anthea Fleming