birding-aus

Striated and Yellow Thornbills

Subject: Striated and Yellow Thornbills
From: Vin Lam <>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 10:19:36 +1000
On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 09:54:12AM +1000,  wrote:
> G'day all
>
> As we have just seen, these species can be difficult to separate in the
> field - especially if you don't know their calls.  I reckon many Yellow
> Thornbill records are really Striated Thornbills (or even Buff-rumped
> Thornbills).
>
> I've only seen Yellow Thornbills on a handful of occasions in Victoria. My
> sightings database goes back to 1985 and I have only 7 records of YTs but
> 125 of STs.
>
> I'd be interested in the comments and experiences of others.

Hi,

There is a population at the end of the Esplanade at Altona
between the carpark and Laverton Ck in Sheoak and tea-trees.
Havent been there for a while, but they are almost always
there. Definite yellow thornbills as well.

BTW: There were two great egrets, 5 nightherons and a male
darter at the melbourne botanic gardens yesterday. Also another
leucistic blackbird which the back of the neck was white. I have
photos if anyone is interested.  (last year, saw one with a white
cap). I have noticed some of the birdbirds around the gardens have
white speckling around the eyes.  is this normal?

Regards
Vin.