birding-aus

Galahs and Acrobatics

Subject: Galahs and Acrobatics
From: Craig Williams <>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 15:39:27 +1000
Hello birders

Recently observed three Galahs perched on transmission wires during
light rain and wished I had a video at the time to catch their antics -
amusing and I've not seen the behaviour before, so am interested in
anyone's similar observations.  As the rain fell, the birds would swing
on the wires, maintaining a loose but carefully controlled grip, and
when hanging upside down from the wires they spread their wings for a
brief moment to catch some rain, then they'd swing upright again to have
a bit of a shake and shuffle of their feathers.  This was repeated quite
a few times over ten minutes or more.  The most striking thing was the
stunning synchronised acrobatic act - the three birds were swinging
(performing??) simultaneously, in what appeared to be beautifully timed
moves! This struck me as a sublime way to take a shower!

Though this species causes a bit of bother out-competing other local
species for nesting hollows, I can't resist their charm-capacity given
the above performance and their general crazy behaviour!

cheers

Craig Williams