birding-aus

Pink galah

To: <>
Subject: Pink galah
From: "Lyn Faull" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:37:03 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)
Hi
My first post here, but I've searched the web and can't find an answer to a puzzle.
Yesterday I called in to an old acquaintance here in Western Victoria, home of many thousands of galahs.  She had one in a cage at her back door.  It had been picked up as an injured baby about ten years earlier (ruling out beak&feather disease I'd guess) and had been kept as a pet.  One wing had been badly broken and it had been attacked by the local mob, intent on murder.

A common incident, except for the bird's colour.  It was a deep vermilion-pink, all over.  The crest was the same deep pink colour, and the wings were edged in grey, giving a delicate scalloped look.  The back and tail were similar.  It was stunning!  I assume it was a natural mutation, the reason for the attack by the other birds, but I can't find any reference to it on any bird sites.  I have seen the cross which produces a dilute bird with pale apricot instead of the pink but this was nothing like that.  The known aviary mutations produce a paler grey.

She hadn't noticed any difference between it and the other locals!  She did say it went a paler colour during the year (before moulting, I suppose) but retained the all-over pink.  I intend to wangle another invitation with my camera.

Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this in galahs?  Is it unusual, or am I looking at just a sad, lonely, diseased cripple on its last legs?  I hope not, -it was glorious.

Lyn Faull

Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!