birding-aus

Pied Heron near Bairnsdale, e. Vic.

Subject: Pied Heron near Bairnsdale, e. Vic.
From: Geoff Price <>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:00:41 +1000
Greetings all

The Pied Heron reported by Jim Reside at MacLeod Morass, near Bairnsdale, e. Vic., was seen by Mike Carter last Friday, 26 March, after much searching.  It wasn't seen on Saturday (possibly due to duck-shooters in the area?), but was seen by myself, with very close views, yesterday (Monday 28 March).  It calmly sat on an old fence post in the middle of the morass for half an hour, watching me devour an easter egg.  It was incredibly confiding, even when I clumsily splashed around getting closer views (only c. 10 m).  Possibly the distinct lack of duck-shooters in the area eased its mind.  It certainly eased mine.  Of course, I didn't have a camera.  Whoever would have expected to need a camera when on a twitch for a state second?  It was seen pretty much at exactly the spot described by Jim (see latest Birdline Victoria update),  and appears to be an adult.

Cheers
Geoff

Geoff Price
Director of Tipping and Sweepstakes
Assistant Editor, Handbook of Australian, New Zealand and Antarctic Birds
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
Hawthorn East  3123
Ph:   (03) 9882 2622