birding-aus

Relocating Great Bowerbird bowers

To: "birding aus" <>, "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Subject: Relocating Great Bowerbird bowers
From: "Mike Tarburton" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:01:14 +1000
Dear Ricki

With Fawn-breasted Bowerbirds they will relocate themselves if disturbed "too
much" and provided there is another suitable site nearby that is within their
territory.  If you move the items to a nearby "good site" the males here in PNG
think that another male has placed them there and they pull them apart, reject
them or ignore them.  It is better to let them take them from a site near the
current site that is not a "good site" and let them choose another site.

The Great Bowerbirds in Chillagoe (West of Cairns, Qld) put up with more
disturbance than the Fawn-breasted Bowerbirds here in PNG do.  They had a bower
in the main street (Chillagoe is a lot quieter than Broome) and another on the
fence line of a residence one block from the main street.  So I think that
under some circumstances you could build near them and they would stay or
return after the building is finished.  They need to be able to see cats and
dogs coming towards their bower so if you are trying to manipulate a site -
predator detection potentials need to be considered.

All the best with the project.

Mike

Dr Mike Tarburton
Dean: School of Science and Technology