birding-aus

Barking Owls - Braeside (Melbourne)?

Subject: Barking Owls - Braeside (Melbourne)?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:10:30 +1100

A question for Melbourne birdos.

This morning I received an inquiry from a ranger at Braeside Park in the south-eastern suburb fringe of Melbourne.  He thinks he may have recorded a Barking Owl while on a spot-lighting walk last night in the park.

As Melbourne-based birdos may know, there have been recent records of Barking Owls from the forested areas east of the city i the Dandenong Ranges.  As far as I'm aware though, there have been few or no records of Barking Owls from the coastal areas of Port Phillip Bay.

Does anyone have records of the species for the coastal suburbs se of Melbourne that have not been forwarded to the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife?

Interested in people's thoughts.

Martin