birding-aus

Recent Psittacula parrot sighting near Melbourne - further information

To: <>
Subject: Recent Psittacula parrot sighting near Melbourne - further information
From: "Dr Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:57:03 +1100

Some further information re the Psittacula parrot seen some weeks ago at Point Cook, Victoria.  Paul Barden, who was with me and who photographed the bird (unfortunately essentially only a dark silhouette against the early morning sky - although the accompanying Crested Pigeon and Magpie-Lark silhouettes are of assistance re size) wrote the following to me (and is happy for me to reproduce it here):

“I supplied the photos of the bird to a number of colleagues and while it was noted that they were poor quality, a number of relevant comments were provided.  The general consensus was that the bird was a P. krameri  (Indian) Rose-ringed Parakeet immature or female, and Alexandrine was ruled out based on our own observations recorded at the time, as well as size and body shape from the photographs. Having the other birds next to it provided a good estimation of the size, etc. Most of the birds in captivity in Australia are of the Indian subspecies borealis. The potential for this species to form viable feral populations has been documented, as noted by Michael Norris".

If anyone wishes to take the matter of this particular parrot further please feel free to contact Paul or me direct.

Richard Nowotny

Richard NOWOTNY

Port Melbourne, Victoria

M: 0438 224456