birding-aus

Mynas

To: "alan morris" <>, <>
Subject: Mynas
From: "John McAllister" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:29:00 +0200
I like what Allan is saying, except that here in South Africa Common Mynas utilise Eucalypts and Australian Acacias very well, but only in urban environments at present. There have been a few reports recently on SA Birdnet (our equivalent of Birding-Aus) of mynas attacking and killing nestlings of other species. There's no study on this that I know of, but perhaps these birds expand there range so well by interfering with the breeding of potential competitors. There is also some indication that one of our native birds, African Pied Starlings, are having some effect on controlling myna population in areas in which the starlings occur.

John McAllister
Wakkerstroom
South Africa