birding-aus

Wymlet Tank - directions

To: "'Fiona Anderson'" <>, <>
Subject: Wymlet Tank - directions
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:39:47 +1100
Hi Fiona

To get to Wymlet Tank: - The Trinita Track heads West off the Calder Highway
about 20 kms South of Hattah.  Without a detailed map, the best way to
advise you to find Wymlet Tank is to head West along this track for about
15kms, then South for about 2 or 3 kms then West again for about 8 kms.  The
"Tank" is a dam on the South West corner of a cross road (track).  Very good
birding in the bush all around the Tank.  The roads are all gravel, but OK
for 2WD vehicle.

We found Red-lored Whistlers about 8 or 9 kms West of the Tank, close to the
track on the left.  It was a bit of pot luck as we had stopped when we saw a
Striated Grasswren cross the track just ahead of us.  We then scouted the
area and came across a group of 3 or 4 RL Whistlers which teased us by
flying, perching and calling around a smallish area for about 20 minutes.
It was a Red "-lored" Letter day for us as it was a new bird for three of
the four in our group.  This was back in November 2003.

Good Luck
Bob Cook

PS: If you can get a map of the area it would make it easier