birding-aus

RE: Black and White Ducks - ID Please

Subject: RE: Black and White Ducks - ID Please
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:58:44 +1100

Mike wrote "They must have escaped from captivity as they were very tame"

They didn't escape - they were dumped!  Unfortuneately large numbers of young ducks are dumped when irresponsible people find their lovely little fluffy ducklings purchased impulsively at the local pet shop turn into larger ugly ducklings that shit everywhere!  It's a pity really as I quite like Muscovies, we had them when I was growing up (what didn't we have in the yard when I was growing up?!).  As Anthea suggested they can be characters and very tame and confiding.  The occasional drake can get a bit possessive and, given their size, can give a small child a bit of a fright.  For those that have seen a Muscovy drake up close, exhibition Muscovies are twice the size of the run of the mill backyard Muscovy - a very impressive sight indeed!

There are distinct parallels here with people buying kittens on impulse.  Fortunately the consequences aren't quite so dire.

Those speculating about the age of these ducks should have a look at the photos again.  The wings are clearly not yet fully developed.  Best seen in the last of the photos.  Lawrie also speculated about Indian Runner blood in one of the birds.  I think you will just find that it is the stance of the bird that gives that impression.  Because of the age of the birds they still haven't really attained that heavy, "clumsy" appearance that old Muscovies invariably have.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete the message. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.