birding-aus

Re: Taxonomy Question

Subject: Re: Taxonomy Question
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:03:14 +0800

My understanding was that Broad-tailed Thornbill was the sub species of Inland Thornbill in the far south west corner?  I have heard Ron Johnstone at the Museum of WA mention it.  He has recently published the second volume of his Handbook of WA Birds, but I haven't got a copy yet, so I can't refer to his text.

Ian May mentions it in South Australia, and the new Morcombe field guide shows this.

What interests me is that Morcombe shows the nominate race apicalis as being in these areas.  So why wasn't Broad-tailed Thornbill chosen instead of Inland Thornbill?

Frank O'Connor           Birding WA http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au
Phone : (08) 9386 5694              Email : -------------------------------------------- Birding-Aus is now on the Web at www.birding-aus.org -------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the message 'unsubscribe birding-aus' (no quotes, no Subject line) to