birding-aus

Re: List

To: Andrew Ley <>
Subject: Re: List
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:40:20 +1100
Andrew Ley wrote:
Dear Paul,
Re your contribution to Birding-Aus of this morning, could you tell me who wrote/compiled the "Draft Working List of Birds of Australia and Australian Territories" that you cite and where may I obtain a copy?

For Andrew and anyone else who was wondering, the list is published by
Birds Australia (aka RAOU).  From their website:

   This list is based on Christidis & Boles (1994), but incorporates
   suggested changes in taxonomy such as new species accepted by BARC
   (Birds Australia Rarities Committee). Any other changes from the
   Christidis & Boles list are associated with the source of that
   change (i.e., the reference).

   This list is:
      * in draft form
      * unofficial
      * a working list
      * provided for general interest

(Despite it being a "working list", it hasn't changed since the
original September 2003 release - I for one would like to see some
of the new phylogenetic work incorporated into it on a regular basis.)

The list is available here:

   http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/checklist/index.html