birding-aus

More sporting birds

To: "" <>
Subject: More sporting birds
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:05:24 +1100
Back in my schooldays (?1950s) Melborne's AGE carried a Literary
Supplement. In this little pieces by a writer called Alan Bell appeared.
In one he wrote of a dull day at the M.C.G. He turned his fieldglasses
skywards and was lucky enough to get a Wedgetailed Eagle, very high up,
proceeding westwards. He wrote a birdbook - the writing was excellent if
not scientifically rigorous, but the illustrations let it down badly.

I was once in the carpark near the MCG, waiting to load a child on a bus
for a Guide Camp, and saw a Hobby whizz past, just above bus-roof
height.

  The small raptor seen at the Sydney Cricket Ground could well have
been a Hobby - I have often seen them flying very late into the
twilight, when one's only hope of seeing them was as a silhouette
against the faintly lighter sky. I believe there are records of Hobbies
taking bats.
Anthea Fleming