birding-aus

Bee-eater mass-roosting?

To: <>
Subject: Bee-eater mass-roosting?
From: Mike Tarburton <>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:37:59 +1000
Dear Birding Ausers

Peter's 10 bee-eaters, Chris's 20, and Frank's 200 appear to increase as
they migrate further north for when they reach the sanctuary of Pacific
Adventist University's campus just out of Port Moresby in PNG.

We usually have 50-100 Rainbow Bee-eaters spending the night in a tree on
our campus but the numbers swell during April to June when in the last two
years they reached 500 birds.

Incidentally I have found the best way to count them is to take up a vantage
point 45 mins before sunset and count the flocks as they arrive at the tree,
as many of them become very difficult to see after they have landed.

I do not see why groups as large as this would not occur in northern
Australia.

Cheers

Mike

Mike Tarburton