birding-aus

Bemm River camp

Subject: Bemm River camp
From: Keith Stockwell <>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:35:08 +1100
Over 150 bird species were observed at BOCAs Bemm River Christmas-New Year
Camp.

Several of us saw Ground Parrots and one participant enjoyed wonderful
views of a Powerful Owl. Little Terns were amongst the sea birds observed
at the mouth of the Snowy River near Marlo.

The camp site was on private property alongside Bemm River. The birding in
and around the camp site was outstanding.

There were not as many Buff-banded Rail near the store as there were two
years ago, possibly because of drought and possibly because the grass
around the store has been cut lower. But we had excellent views of one in
the beautiful garden of a house opposite the store. The householders told
us that a Bittern visits the garden almost every day. I counted around 16
species in their garden.

Keith Stockwell,
Echuca-Moama