birding-aus

Wonga Wetlands - Albury, NSW

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Wonga Wetlands - Albury, NSW
From: "Matthew Herring" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:04:23 +1100

G'day folks,

A really nice start to the year for me has been down at the Wonga Wetlands, just west of Albury on the Murray River floodplain (see previous posts on archive for directions to this public land). I recommend a visit at the moment for any locals with a spare hour or two, or anyone passing through the area. A couple of hours yesterday afternoon (1/1/05), an hour this morning and a couple of hours this afternoon yielded almost 80 birds (see below), reflecting the high diversity of waterbirds at this site, plus a sprinkling of bushbirds. There was also a fox, couple of hares, rabbits, several red-bellied black snakes, yellow-bellied water skink and peron's tree frog. There are probably dozens of Latham's Snipe there, together with lots of waterfowl breeding, and with the low water levels it is starting to feel a bit like it did a few years ago when we had the likes of Little Bittern and Lewin's Rail, so fingers crossed! Who knows, a Painted Snipe might even appear!

Regards, Matt Herring, Albury.

The full list is below but the highlights for me were:

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (12)
Latham's Snipe (9+)
Spotted Crake (1)
Black-tailed Native-hen (10)