birding-aus

Painted Snipe & Others, Ash Is.

To: "'Tom Wilson'" <>
Subject: Painted Snipe & Others, Ash Is.
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:41:36 +1100
Hi Tom

A Long-toed Stint was seen on Ash Island early this year. I have only
seen one Long-toed Stint in my whole life but have seen a number of
photos of them. Generally I can described them as being very much like
tiny (minature) Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and about the same size of a
Red-necked Stint (but usually having more of an upright stance than a
Red-necked stint and having olive to yellow-olive legs), but be careful
as Sharp-tailed Sandpipers do show much size variation (with some
approaching Stint size).

You may have seen juv. Red-necked Stints from what you have described
(juveniles being more heavily streaked on the crown and the sides of the
breast and often having slight rufous colouring on the mantle).

Cheers!

Edwin