birding-aus

Painted Snipe sighting.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Painted Snipe sighting.
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:28:33 +1000
Yesterday, 27/12/04 I had the opportunity to travel 120 km west of Mossman (as the crow flies) to Mt. Mulligan which has been likened to the "Ayer's Rock" of North Queensland. It towers 400 metres above the surrounding savanah woodland and has many vertical cliff faces well over 300 metres high. The escarpment is eighteen kilometres in length lying north and south.
    To get to the area one travels west from Mareeba through much irrigated cropland watered from Lake Tinaroo.
    After crossing the Walsh River 10 km north of Dimbulah I observed a lone female Painted Snipe fly across the road ahead towards the local weir. The contrasting colours showed well in the morning light. As the bird hadn't geen flushed her shallow wingbeats in flight were very apparent.     After recent storm rains, conditions in the region indeed are suitable as drainage systems are holding water.
    Other highlights that came our way through the day were more than 300 Red-tailed Black Cockatoos and perhaps 70 Pale-headed Rosellas, many taking advantage of an over ripe mango crop.
    Season's Greetings,
Del.Richards, Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.