birding-aus

Re: Fork-tailed swifts in sth central qld

Subject: Re: Fork-tailed swifts in sth central qld
From: cracticus <>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 1:18:31 +1100
Hi all

Bit of a late report -

Similar to Shane, we noticed the Fork-tailed Swifts as we were travelling
through Augathella SW Qld on the Thursday 22.12.04 from Julia Creek to Brisbane
(and eventually to Sydney) and noticed big flocks of Forkies about 23k's North
of Augathella when we stopped to give the kids a drink and a strecth at about
4pm.   Also spotted Black and Spiney-cheeked Honeyeaters in mistletoe in
Eucalypts beside the road.

The Forkies were extremely numerous until about 25k's south of Augathella
(roughly in a 50k's North-south stretch along the Landsborough Hwy - it was a
good line transect anyway).  We estimated about 5000 birds from the road, but
there could have been more.  The birds were flying high and low.  Also noticed
one patch flying low of at least 400 - 500 birds over one paddock (presumably
catching insects)....it was amazing to see so many!

All the country south of Longreach/Barcaldine through Augathella and Roma is
very green and seems to have had good rain - even to the point where my car
changed colour from it's original 'red' to 'locust guts' - particularly around
Tambo.  We stopped four times in the stretch of road either side of Augathella
to do counts where we saw larger numbers and counted as we drove.  We even
picked up a pair of Chestnut-rumped Thornbills beside the road too at one stop.
 There was some cloud cover and evident storms further west associated with
this Fork-taileds sightings.

Very interesting sighting - the most forkies I've seen are usually in flocks of
50 to 100 birds and this huge group tops my cake!

Shane - I'd say that many of the birds you encountered would have been part of
this group no doubt, and very possibly of many different birds - more than your
estimated 50 or so.

Also earlier in the day (about 6am) - we saw a flock of about 40 Fork-tailed
Swifts on the intersection of the Landborough Highway and the Julia
Creek-Kynuna Road.

Cheers
Marc Gardner
Julia Creek Qld (& via Brisbane at the moment)

----  wrote:
> hi all

a flock (or flocks) of 50+ fork-tailed swifts over nive downs homestead about
20km north of augathella in southern central qld from dawn to dusk yesterday,
tue 22.12.

there has been a lot of storm activity in the area and insects are plentiful.
(slap!)

had great views (and a big tick) at fairly close quarters. not sure though if
it was one lot hanging around all day or several flocks moving through. late in
the day when a storm front closed in a large number made a beeline south only
to reappear after it passed.

btw any tips on counting swifts greatly appreciated.

on mon 21.12: 11 bustards counted along the stock route between nive downs and
old coolabri stations on the road from augathella to tambo.

highlight was a grand old fellow who put on a show for us in the middle of the
road. his wattle(?) almost touched the ground.

merry xmas everyone

shane b

sydney escapee