birding-aus

Swifts far north coast NSW

Subject: Swifts far north coast NSW
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:27:28 +1100
Went for a drive up to Tweed Heads to try and do some last minute shopping and stopped at a couple of spots to do some bird watching. Most exciting sight was 3 Fork-tailed Swifts low over Fingal Lighthouse. I don't think I've seen this species in the Tweed before and you would be hard pushed to see them any further east. South of Casuarina Beach (new estate on the Kingscliff-Bogangar Road) stopped to look at a flock of about 50 White-throated Needletails which had at least one Fork-tailed Swift amongst it. Weather here is very overcast and humid, but no real storm fronts present anywhere.

Regarding roosting swifts, Mark Clayton has recorded them at Charcoal Tank NR (near West Wyalong) roosting in trees and I think wrote a brief article in Canberra Bird Notes.

Cheers,
Peter