birding-aus

Painted snipe was painted out!

To: <>
Subject: Painted snipe was painted out!
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:05:33 +1100
Hi,
Regrettably the painted snipe on Ash Island (Newcastle NSW) were away for the weekend or sleeping in. Having driven from Sydney late on Saturday evening I had a few hours sleep deside the car and was up and on the job at the "snipe paddock" at 5:30 am. Despite watching carefully until 7:30 and again from 10:00 to 10:30 there was no sign of the birds. Another group arrived with a scope while I was there but they also dipped.
Notable during the watching were the quartet of channel billed cuckoos and the swamp harrier setting off the other birds in the paddock. Along wagtail way were white fronted chats.
Peter Marsh