birding-aus

cats

To: "Bill Stent" <>, "Shirley Cook" <>, <>
Subject: cats
From: "Belles" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:42:47 +1100
Bill
If we had more people around like you, it would make it much easier for us
wildlife carers.
Shirley - Cats dont kill wildlife to eat, they just kill it as they are born
hunters. I cant understand most cat owners who let their cats out during the
day and don't even know where the cat is until they feed it again. Even
though your cat is a well fed one it will still kill!
I don't know how many times when we rescue a bird or possum, people say "my
cat didn't touch it!" When I ask if they lock their cats away at night they
normally say "NO". Two weeks ago I picked up 10 Sugar Gliders 3 seperate
rescues. The first on was badly mauled by a cat and was dead when I got her,
she had 2 tiny babies in her pouch very cold which died 3 days later. Second
pick up was for an adult mum, a juvenile(back baby) and 2 small babies in
her pouch......they all died. Third rescue was later on that day a lady had
a dead mum Sugar Glider which her cat had and she had 2 babies in her pouch
which died...4 days later. All these were on one Day...the Monday.
I think there should be a law brought in that all cat owners must lock their
cat up 24 hours a day and have them on a leash(like dogs) when they are
walked. Dogs have to so why not for cats??? Even to put some form of
"guttering" or something similar to keep the cat in their own backyard
instead of wandering around. Isn't it the law "if a cat is off the owners
property it is classified as a feral?"

Marian - wildlife carer

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html