birding-aus

One lucky CP

Subject: One lucky CP
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:12:38 +1100
On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 11:27:48PM +1100, Craig Williams wrote:
>   There really ought to be enough
> qualified operators out there to commence publishing material that
> refutes the claim that cat's don't consume local wildlife/birds: surely
> scat analyses exist en masse demonstrating the complexity of the
> situation?

Two papers I've mentioned before here.  Risbey DA. et al. "The impact
of cats and foxes on the small vertebrate fauna of Heirisson Prong,
Western Australia" Wildlife Research. 27(3):223-235, 2000 describes a 4
year predator removal experiment.  It provides good evidence that cats
can greatly reduce small mammal density they didn't look at birds.

Read J. and Bowen Z., "Population dynamics, diet and aspects of the
biology of feral cats and foxes in arid South Australia", Wildlife
Research, 28(2):195-203, 2001. reports the contents of 316 feral
cat stomachs.   They identified 8 mammal, 16 bird, 37 reptile and 1
amphibian species in cat stomach contents, including a Grey Teal
and they report cats swimming to tak ducks!

Andrew