birding-aus

Mitchell Park and RFI Powerful Owl, Spotted Quail-Trush

Subject: Mitchell Park and RFI Powerful Owl, Spotted Quail-Trush
From: jesko sirker <>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 21:29:38 +1100
Last Saturday I spent a few ours at Mitchell Park in the Hawkesbury area about
70 km from Sydney. Best birds seen were a pair of Cicadabirds, a Pacific
Baza, several Scarlet and Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters, Sacred Kingfisher, Olive
backed Orioles as well as Dollarbirds and a Brown Cuckoo Dove.

Unfortunately I missed again the Powerful Owl which was my main target and
which was seen there a week ago. I have now tried several times to locate the
Powerful Owl at Mitchell Park but always without success. Could anybody
suggest another spot in the Sydney area where I could try? Powerful Owl is
one of the last common species in the Sydney area which I have missed so far.

The other species which should be regularly seen around Sydney and which I
always missed is Spotted Quail-Trush. Is there a real chance at the moment to
see it in Capertee Valley without entering private property? Or does anybody
knows other places for Spotted Quail-Trush around Sydney?

Thanks,

Jesko