birding-aus

RFI New Caledonia

Subject: RFI New Caledonia
From: Tun Pin Ong <>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:26:01 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

Appreciate if any birding-ausers can help me to answer
some questions. Kindly reply to my email. Thank you.

I've booked my trip to New Caledonia this month end
for  7days6nights self-driving birding trip with a
friend. We had initially planned to visit only Parc
Provincial de la Riviere Bleue and Mount Koghis.

However, after reading some trip reports and Lonely
Planet, it seems possible to cover both Lifou Island
and Ouvea Island for just an overnight stay, ie stay
3~4 hours on Lifou to clear 5~6 endemic and then hop
to Ouvea to try the Ovea Parakeet, recently split full
species from Horned Parakeet. I seem to be able book
for this type of tight flight schedule from internet
but I would like to know if anyone has the contact who
can help to arrange for the search of Ouvea Parakeet.
Is guided tour essential for the parakeet? I have
tried to contact Pierre Primot but his email was
unreachable.

As for the mainland(Riviere Bleue and Mont Koghis),
looks like the Kagu is getting easier to see but are
the Crow Honeyeater, Horned Parakeet becoming harder
to see? I do not aim for the notoriously elusive grass
bird but my friend is very keen on this. Has someone
got any latest infor on where to see them or is the
traditional site at Mont Koghis still reliable?

Hope to get some good photos to share with all.

Any tips, reminders, pointers, contacts, directions,
recommendations or warning would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Tun-Pin
St Leonards, Sydney

http://my.yahoo.com