birding-aus

Diamond Pythons

To: "Ian Sutton" <>, <>, "Alan Morris" <>
Subject: Diamond Pythons
From: " Jon Wren" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:11:40 +1100
Gooday all,
On the 7 November 2004 while my wife and I were conductin an Atlas count at the Rose Bay Turn-off Bowen Queensland, we observed a similar situation involving a large python. Our attention was drawn to the situation by the collection of birds that had gathered at a large Paperbark tree. The birds involved in the noisy behaviour included Australian Magpie, Helmeted Friarbird, Yellow-throated Miner, Dollarbird, Great Bowerbird, Pale-headed Rosella and Laughing Kookaburra. On observing the Kookaburra I thought that it may have been responsible for the birds action. However on the opposite side in a large Pandanus a Python with a body as large as my arm had curled up and had its head protruding into a hollow. The birds had carried out this noisy behaviour for approx 2 mins before they fell silent and started to disperse.
The following morning armed with my video camera only to finf that the snake had gone.
What amazed me about this bird behaviour was the unity of purpose by all species present working somewhat cooperatively to warn of the present danger or distract the predator.
Jon Wren