birding-aus

Diamond Pythons

To: <>
Subject: Diamond Pythons
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:21:37 +1100
Hi Birders,
Reading Penny Drake-Brockman's note about finding a Diamond Python near Barrington House NSW reminds that recently I was surveying birds in a patch of Swamp Mahogany Forest near Catherine Hill Bay, NSW when my attention was attracted to a large number of small Honeyeaters, Silvereyes, Thornbills and Lewin's Honeyeaters all getting excited in the top of a Melaleuca linearifolia (a small tree). Thinking that there might be a Boobook or a Tawny Frogmouth there, I went over for a closure look and discovered that the site of interst was a Ring-tailed Possum's nest which had a Diamond Python curled on top of it while its head appeared to be inside the entrance hole. While I watched, the rest of the Diamond Python's body gradually entered the hole and totally disappeared inside. The Python did not re-emerged during my 20 minute survey of the general area. I saw no Ringtail Possum so I don't know whether the Python had eaten the possum or whether it was making use of the nest as a shelter. The Python appeared to be at least 1.5 m long.

Alan Morris