birding-aus

Interesting birds on wetlands SE of Melbourne

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "Stuart Cooney" <>, "Bill Ramsay" <>, "Sean Dooley" <>, "Aidan Sudbury" <>, "Barry Ross" <>, "wendy dunn" <>, "Steele William" <>, "Gail D'Alton" <>
Subject: Interesting birds on wetlands SE of Melbourne
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:19:49 -0800

About three weeks ago I received a third-hand report that a little known observer had seen a White-rumped Sandpiper at a new wetland wader site at Woodlands Industrial Estate adjacent to Braeside Park. Apparently there is video of the bird, not yet available. The bird has not been seen since.

Today, after Andrew Silcocks & I had completed Birds Australia's monthly survey of the nearby Edithvale Wetlands, (best birds Australian Bitterns, Latham's Snipe, Blue-billed Ducks), we checked the site. See Melway page 88 C11. There were some 2,000 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, a Ruff (Reeve), a Pectoral Sandpiper, breeding Red-kneed Dotterels & Black-winged Stilts. Having turned right into Lakewood Blvd one can park adjacent to the lake after passing some factories. The birds frequent the lake shores, three  islands with erections that look like flag-poles, and some shallow flooded grassland on the east side, the site of the proposed Mornington Peninsula Freeway. One can walk around on well formed gravel roads which encircle the lakes. The most westerly lake is the most reliable site in the area for Great-crested Grebe.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136