birding-aus

Second hand GPS units.

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Second hand GPS units.
From: Ian May <>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:38:17 +1030
g'Day all

Because GPS technology is so useful to birding, handheld units are often discussed on birding-aus. Some discussion has been about their affordability. If price is a consideration, I recommend buying second hand GPS units in good condition from international sources.

My occasional work involves installing new and used PC based marine autopilot and navigation systems. When selecting such systems for yachts, handheld GPS units are often interfaced with the PC navigation software.

In the past few years I have purchased several second hand Garmin GPS units from the United States using the EBay auction site. So far, there have been no problems with any of them. Pay from AUD$90 to $120 depending on the model selected (Garmin 12/ 12XL/ 72/ Etrex), including postage.

When deciding upon an item on the EBay site, selecting a unit with an "as new" description has proved to be reliable. Expensive accessories such as PC download and power connection cables, mounts and soft cases are sometimes included in the deal and if a users manual is not included, it can be downloaded free in pdf format, from the Garmin site.

http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=All&subcategory=All&product=All

Using United States Postal Priority Service for shipping, the freight cost is about $14 for parcels less than 16 oz. and delivery takes only two or three days. See the UPS site.

http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home&page=0061calculatepostage.

Our improved exchange rate should provide even more favourable conditions for buying. Hope my experience is helpful to observers on a budget.

Regards

Ian May

Price, South Australia