birding-aus

What is Australia's Noisiest and Quietest Bird?

To: <>
Subject: What is Australia's Noisiest and Quietest Bird?
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:47:45 +1100

While on a conference call in the office in Sydney between a work colleague and my boss (who were both working at home), we were disrupted as we were speaking by a very noisy Channel-billed Cuckoo in the background (it sounded as if it was inside my bosses house in Epping). This has now prompted me to question what is the loudest bird in Australia? I have been disrupted before in the past in exam time by noisy Koels just outside the room and numerous times woken up at dawn by Channel-billed Cuckoos (my alarm clock) outside my bedroom. I would think both the Koel and the Channel-billed Cuckoo are definitely contenders but maybe somebody else has a different opinion? Also what is the quietest bird in Australia (to normal hearing)?

Edwin Vella