birding-aus

Western Port Pelican in Trouble

Subject: Western Port Pelican in Trouble
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:37:45 +1100 (EST)

Hi John,

Day before yesterday I noticed a pelican with the bottom soft part of his beak hanging loose, torn and ripped. He will starve and get weak before dying, unless we can catch him & get him stitched up. Nothing wrong with him otherwise. That?s the trouble as he can still fly well & took off when I got close to him in a dinghy. He may well be on the dredge spoil island. May need to get Parks Vic down to help capture it. Few fellows at the yacht club are happy to help but it?s no good whilst he?s flying.

Could you please keep an eye out for him ?. I?ve got to work during the day so can?t do much.

I'll immediately let all know .... then go and see what state he's in.

9 am Monday 8-11-2004