birding-aus

Info on What birds eat What Fruits

To: Janice England <>,
Subject: Info on What birds eat What Fruits
From: Michael Whitehead <>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:50:55 +1100 (EST)
Hi Janice,

          There's an excellent two volume (passerines and non-passerines) book that has assembled most reports in published ornithology literature (pre 1989) regarding bird diet. If you can get to a good library and have a look it'll be well worth it.

          Barker, R.D. and Vestjens, W.J.M. (1989) "The food of Australian birds" CSIRO Australia, Melbourne

          If anyone else has good sources of info on birds and frugivory I'd also love to hear from you.

                      Mike.

Janice England <> wrote:
HI Everyone,

I realise this is a very broad question but I would appreciate any helpful suggestions of easy to read literature.

I voluntarily work in a Landcare nursery on the Sunshine Coast Qld. and we regularly discuss which birds we believe feed on  the various rainforest trees we germinate in the nursery  There rarely seems to be any mention made in the field guides as to what Birds eat What Berries, etc.

Does any know where I could find some easy to read literature or make contacts regarding same without spending hours on the net.

Thanks               Jan