birding-aus

Little Bittern again at Bundoora, Melbourne Vic

To: <>, <>
Subject: Little Bittern again at Bundoora, Melbourne Vic
From: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:13:31 +1000
Hi Peter,
The bird was seen every day between Thursday last week and Monday this week.  I don't know if it has been seen since but then I haven't heard of anyone looking since then. As far as I know only a male has been seen. Given it has been so wet probably best to park in Grange Rd (near its intersection with Moonstone Walk) and walk the 50+ m to the gazebo rather than park on the dirt beside Moonstone Walk. Evening seems best for prolonged views but it has shown at all times of the day. A spotting scope is worth bringing for better views.
Cheers
Rohan
I didn't make it up to see it last year, so if anyone can provide any details on where to park, what roads to turn off on etc, it would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Peter

"Rohan Clarke" <>
Sent by:

22/10/2004 09:16 AM

<>
cc
Subject
[BIRDING-AUS] Little Bittern again at Bundoora, Melbourne Vic

Hi all,
Yesterday evening from about 5:45 pm through till dusk I watched a male little bittern on the small ponds beside Moonstone Walk, Bundoora (Melb. Vic. Melways map 19 J5). Initially it was seen foraging amongst the reeds on the far left-hand corner of the left-hand lake where it caught a large yabby. Then over the following hour it travelled the length of the lake working its way along the front of each reed patch with short flights across each section of open water. It arrived at the far right-hand patch of reeds towards sunset where it sat on the top in full view. It was still preening there when I left. All observations were made from near the small gazebo next to Moonstone walk. Also present was a (long staying?) male Blue-billed Duck. Chestnut teal and Wood duck had young while Dusky Moorhen and Purple swamphen could be seen sitting on nests.

As with suggestions in previous years if you make a visit to see Little Bittern(s?) here stay on the Moonstone Walk side of the lakes and do not make any attempt to flush birds from the reeds. With patience they will appear. This is the third year in a row that the species has been reported to Birding-aus from this location and it would seem likely that the species is breeding here again (as long as a female is present!). I'm sure it wouldn't take much to put these birds off if people are tramping around the lake edge and reeds on the far side. Also be considerate of the residents in Moonstone Walk. This is a short narrow dead-end street and if there are already few cars parked there it might be better to park out in Grange Bvd and walk the 50+ m to the gazebo.

Regards
Rohan

Dr Rohan Clarke
Threatened Mallee Bird Project