birding-aus

October at Violet Town, Vic.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: October at Violet Town, Vic.
From: Barry McLean <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 04 14:25:50 +1000
Hi all,
Spring is fast giving way to summer here.  The lush green growth that greeted
us when we returned at the start of this month after 2 months away (which has
seen me mowing/slashing/chipping/etc daily), is quickly drying - most of today
was spent watering.

First sighting of a Rainbow Bee-eater today but they have been heard flying
over occasionally since 9th Oct.  Dollarbirds back in the area in the last week
(in the town) on 14/10) but none on our place yet.

Bird nests found include Superb Fairy-wren, Red-browed Finch, Spotted
Pardalote, Weebill and Blackbird nests and the Collared Sparrowhawk nest
mentioned in my previous posting.  Well, I have been sure that they are
Sparrowhawk, mainly because they have a squareish tail and a long middle toe
but the Brown Goshawk on the Wingspan cover seems to have a long toe too!

The Red Wattlebirds have returned and are trying to prevent the Yellow-faced,
White-plumed and  New Holland from using their tree - the White-naped don't try
to compete and no other H/Es around at present.   The Yf's leave the tree when
the RW's are around, the NH's keep aware and move well before the RW's get near
them - and then are quickly back to a new spot.  The W-p's move just before the
RW gets close and just move a short distance, without actually leaving the
tree.  The Purple-crowned Lorikeets take little notice and only move when they
actually get hit.  They then sometimes leave the tree for a few seconds but
usually land in the tree again immediately.  In this process all except the Red
Wattlebirds seem, to me, to be getting enough eating time!

The Mistletoebirds have arrived in numbers this week and seem to be everywhere.
 They enjoy flying through our hand-held sprays and we enjoy watching them.

Finally we have carports and are continually cleaning car mirrors, windows and
windscreens of bird excreta from our vehicles (putting socks on the mirrors
reduces the need).  We have been blaming the Superb Fairy-wrens for all of
this, but late last week I noticed a Spotted Pardalote on the Ute mirror.  I
approached expecting it to vacate the area (as the wrens do) but it took
absolutely no notice of my approach until I was about 40cm from it, and then it
just swapped sides.  I am sure that I could have caught this determined little
jewel in my hand if I had tried.  In the next hour we went back several times
because the view was so special and it was always there, so we put a bedspread
aver the whole cabin.  Five minutes later it was using the aerial as a perch
and searching for its adversary.

Bye

         Barry & Roberta McLean
         03 57981213