birding-aus

Bush bird names e.g. Happy Families

To: "Peter Waanders" <>, <>
Subject: Bush bird names e.g. Happy Families
From: "Gemfyre" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:36:03 +0800
Speaking of SA bird names. While I was over there last summer visiting my b/f's family I tried to find out what kind of bird the "Piping shrike" on the SA flag was. I asked his dad, who has dabbled in birdwatching and he couldn't remember. And going by the stylised picture on the flag I thought it might be a Magpie Lark and kept teasing my b/f about the fact that his state bird was a dopey Peewee.

Once I got home and was able to look it up I found that a Piping Shrike is nothing more than a Magpie. At least it's more noble than Peewee. Now I wonder why on earth they always refer to it as a Piping Shrike on the flag rather than a magpie and why did they choose a magpie? It's hardly a bird exclusive to SA (although admittedly Black Swans are found out of WA too).

Gemfyre