birding-aus

Bush bird names e.g. Happy Families

To: "" <>
Subject: Bush bird names e.g. Happy Families
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:52:39 +1000
Back in the '70s we camped at Mootwingie NP (NSW). We were very amused
by the Apostle-Birds, which walked into camps and caravans and were
delighted with offerings of muesli and any other edible they could get
their beaks on. Then we went down to broken Hill, where we found the
camping-ground very crowded a/c the local Show and the replay of the
local Aus. Rules Football Final. Our neighbours were interested to hear
of our adventures but puzzled by the name Apostle-bird. We described
them. "Oh, you mean Lousy Jacks!" but another camper called them "Happy
Families" and called one of the Babbler species "Twelve Apostles."

It does help to have been brought up on the old hardback of "What Bird
is That?" which gives almost all the old bush names. These days I keep
meeting people who have no idea what I mean when I say "Cranky Fan".
Anthea Fleming