birding-aus

Inskip and Cooloola

Subject: Inskip and Cooloola
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:38:34 +1000
Hi Y'all
Took the drive to Cooloola National Park and Inskip Pt at the weekend (3
hrs north of Brisbane, Qld)
Early morning at the spot off Cooloola Way - glorious views of Southern
Emuwren and a brief glimpse of a Ground Parrot. A long distance view of
Brush Bronzewing sunning itself on the track and a Leaden Flycatcher
singing while sitting on it's nest!
On to Inskip point itself, camped and, late afternoon, a pair of
Black-breasted Button-quails at the end of the point followed by the
pair of Beach Stone Curlew everyone else has reported but this was my
first time seeing them - crippling views scoped at 30m between the
racing 4WDs.
Checking the waders, a flock of Red-necked Stints huddled on the beach
in the fierce northerlies -one of which appeared to have an almost
complete breast band, anyone know if this is a normal plumage stage?
Next morning out on the mudflats at low tide - a huge flock of terns
Crested, Common, a few Little and I probably answered my own question of
a few days ago. An adult Little Tern , yellow bill with black tip
and.....red legs. Actually the only adult LT I could see.
Four of Queensland's rarest (?) birds in one day -  priceless.....
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......