birding-aus

RFI pardalote breeding timeline

To: <>
Subject: RFI pardalote breeding timeline
From: "Venetia McMahon" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:38:34 +1000
We have a mulch heap in our garden that spotted pardalotes, much to our delight recently used to build a nest in. Eggs were laid but the nest was then abandoned. After seeing no activity for three or four weeks we recommenced using the mulch, reducing the size of the heap.  Now the pardalotes have returned and started to tunnel again.

Could someone tell us how long it takes for the nest to be constructed until the young leave the nest? (Morcombe says incubation takes two weeks). Are the successful nests reused ? Will we  be able the mulch this side of Christmas?

We're at  Main Ridge on the Mornington Peninsula, south east of Melbourne. Hoping someone can help us with this information.

Venetia McMahon.