birding-aus

FNQ TRIP REPORT...TERRIFIC...BUT UNWISE LEGACY.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: FNQ TRIP REPORT...TERRIFIC...BUT UNWISE LEGACY.
From: "Del Richards" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:53:23 +1000
TO ALL ON BIRDING-AUS.
I have just digested the trip report from Tim Dolby and Greg Oakley to FNQ and it truely is a testimony to their research and planning. I am glad to be mentioned as being helpful even though we met only for a few minutes.
    However their report with it's detail, particularly pertaining to the nesting Square-tailed Kites at Mt. Molloy is of deep concern. To the birders and guides of the NQ it has been regarded almost as a sacred site. It IS the only nest known to be freely accessible. In the "Action plan for Australian Birds" it is not regarded as vulnerable or rare but it is here. Let me give you their history:

1998: The Square-tailed Kites nest was found by John Young and the information remained a closly guarded secret amongst less than six people. They were successful in rearing young.

1999: The local cricket club made application to Mareeba Shire council to clear the area for a third playing field to be utilised once a year at Easter. Lloyd Nielsen (well known birder/author) immediately began the fight to save the trees and it was with the help and intervention of B/A office bearer, Ian Sinclair who is with Department of Natural Resources that this was achieved. Kites reared young.

2000: Kites were rearing two young when a wildfire in the Hammill grass below the nest burnt many of the leaves and the young died in the nest! The adults disappeared.

2001: Adult Kites did not return.

2002: Happily these gutsy birds returned to try and rear chicks again. Lloyd with Ron Stannard of Kingfisher Park and others spent time clearing a large area of Hammill grass from below the nest site to aleviate the chance of another chick barbeque. Kites reared young.

2003: At breeding time an employee of Ron Stannards cleared the area under the nest. Kites reared young.

2004: The kites returned and as we all know they've nested again. So far the chicks haven't had to contend with fire.

My point remains it's obvious that some details should not be freely divulged on the Web. Every birder planning a trip here now has intimate details of a Square-tailed Kites nest which should not be the case. But for how long will they stay. Locals have worked hard for the privilege of having these magnificent birds nest close by.
Del.Richards,Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, NQ.