birding-aus

Orange Flagged Red KnotS at Penrhyn Road, SE Sydney

To: Birding Australia <>
Subject: Orange Flagged Red KnotS at Penrhyn Road, SE Sydney
From: Tun Pin Ong <>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 02:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,
This afternoon I photographed 2 Red Knots with leg
flags at Penrhyn estuary, among other 30 Red Knots, 50
Bar-tailed Godwit, 5 Rufous-necked Stints and 10
Red-capped Plovers.

Both had orange flag at right tibia (upper leg) and a
RING at left tarsus (lower leg). I only noticed the
ring later from my pictures. Anyone knows where the
knots were tagged? Victoria?

One orange flag looked bright and has bigger
rectangular flag and share edges. The other one has
somewhat duller orange flag and trangular shape or
probably worn out.

Penrhyn estuary is busy with human activities - German
Sherpherds running and swimming around, Australian
Terriers chasing after Red-capped Plover. People were
busy loading and unloading their recreational boats.
Is there anything we can do to reduce these?

I will send my picture to anyone who would like to
confirm more in details.

Happy Birding,
Tun-Pin Ong
Sydney