birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swift Swifts sightings 2003/4 - A summary

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swift Swifts sightings 2003/4 - A summary
From: "Mike" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:45:46 +1000
G'Day  birding Ausers

By far the first Fork-tailed Swift seen in Australia (to my knowledge) was at
Broome in WA, recorded by Adrian Boyle on 4.9.03.  The next reported record was
at Bowen in Qld where 60+ birds were seen by Jon Wren on 2.11.03.  Why weren't
there any sightings in between, either geographically or chronologically?  I
think it is because we do not get out enough at this time of year to the likely
places.  Thanks Adrian for being in the right place so often each year.

The largest numbers reported were also seen by Adrian Boyle and also at Broome.
 2000 were estimated on 23.3.03.  Large numbers were consistently seen around
Broome for 20 days then they tapered off to just one bird by the end of March.
These data support the concept that this species largely enters Australia from
Indonesia through the Kimberley and departs along the same corridor.  No birds
were reported from anywhere after the end of March.

Filling in some of the gaps we had 20 records from WA, eight records from NSW,
two from NT, 12 from Qld, and one from Vic.  We missed your records from SA,
Tony!

Single records were sent in by Mrs Morton (per Adrian Boyle), Tom Tarrant, Jon
Wren, Gavin Goodyear, David Stewart, Chris Sanderson, Gavin Goodyear, Simon
Hayes, Phil Gregory, David Mitford (per Edwin Vella), David Stewart,  Bill
Moorhead, Barry McKlean, Carol Probets & Alan Gilanders. Two records were sent
by  Isobel Evans (per Carol Probets), Joy Tansey, and Zona Brown.  Three
records were sent by Grant Morton/Adrian Boyle. Six records were sent in by
Marc Gardner and of course the most records (14) were sent in by Adrian Boyle.

These birds were sometimes in mixed flocks including White-rumped Swiftlets,
White-throated Needletails, Tree Martins and once with a possible House Swift.

On ten occasions the birds were feeding in sedentary circuits and on two
occasions they were travelling in a definite direction without feeding.    Rain
was associated with eight of the sightings and no rain with six of the
sightings.  This information was not reported for the other sightings.

Well I have not heard from Adrian yet for the 2004/5 season so this year might
be someone else's chance to top the reporting for this species.  Give it a try
- you are more likely to learn some interesting facts about avifauna and other
things as well, when you go out looking for swifts.

A big "Thank you" to all who contributed last year.  May you have fun and learn
some interesting things as you keep records for the season that has now
overtaken us.

Cheers

Mike

Dr Mike Tarburton