birding-aus

SW WA

To: <>
Subject: SW WA
From: "Lorne Johnson" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:37:24 +1000
Hello birdlovers... Lorne here...

Just back in Sydney after a glorious honeymoon in south-west WA, where
I fitted in a bit of birding. Never been over there before. Respect and
thanks to Edwin Vella (who was at my wedding), Tony Russell, Bob Cook,
Frank O'Connor and others for their assistance re. birding sites.

Missed out on the bristlebird, whipbird AND scrubbird at Little Beach
in Two Peoples Bay Nature Reserve. Quite pissed off about this at the
time, but I've recovered now. Absolutely torrential wet weather set in
to stop my chances of seeing a thing, though I tried. Heard the
bristlebird many times. Also dipped on Rock Parrots at Cape Leeuwin,
Red-eared Firetail, Western Yellow Robin, Western Thornbill, and Rufous
Treecreeper. Grrrrrrr.

But hey, it was my honeymoon!

Here were my ticks...

RED-CAPPED PARROT - Prevally Park, Boranup karri forest south of
Margaret River

RED-WINGED FAIRY-WREN - Prevally Park

LONG-BILLED BLACK-COCKATOO  - various places throughtout the south west
- road between Albany and Margaret River, Margaret River area

WESTERN ROSELLA - Albany, the road between Albany and Two Peoples Bay,
Margaret River area, Boranup forest

WESTERN SPINEBILL - Eagle Vale winery - right outside main building

WHITE-BREASTED ROBIN - Leeuwin Estate winery - in garden right outside
restaurant and cellar door

WESTERN WATTLEBIRD - Many places - Perth CBD is where I saw the first

RED-TAILED TROPICBIRD - 3 individuals at Sugarloaf Rock

Overall I was knocked out by how green and lush everything seemed over
there. The place looked som much healthier than NSW. All the wildflowers
were out... King's Park and the Botanic Gardens in Perth looked
absolutely gorgeous.

Laterz,

Lorne.