birding-aus

Koels,CB-Cuckoos and Bower Birds in Penrith

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Koels,CB-Cuckoos and Bower Birds in Penrith
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:46:15 +1000
Yesterday morning I was walking alongside the Nepean at Penrith where there
are many Mulberry bushes when I came across two green (probably immature
male) Satin Bowerbirds, first ones I have seen here since the mulberries
were ripe last year.

This morning at 5am I was awakened by a CB Cuckoo in the tree in our front
yard (where a pair of Currawongs are nesting), first I have heard this year.
As my local Currawongs raised a CBC chick last year, maybe the same pair are
about to have the same chore this year?

Also this morning I heard my first Koel of the Spring, really 'kooeeling'
his head off from the top branches of a tall tree beside the Nepean.

Regards - Mike Simpson, Penrith, NSW
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds